Sunday, January 4, 2009

Later in the Day

Never a dull moment. The sun came out for a while this afternoon and blah turned to bright. However, that’s not the exciting thing for the day around here. When Burlee and I went out for our afternoon walk, this is what I saw on the other side of the harbor. Emergency vehicles were lined up on the approach to the pier and two tow trucks were out on the pier. Several firemen and other emergency people were mulling around. On my side of the harbor, dozens of people were lined up at the harbor wall watching, and several cars were parked on the adjacent street.

“What happened?” I asked a neighbor.

“A car went in the water on the other side,” she told me.

“What!” If you don’t know what the beach has looked like these few days, look back at some of my pictures. How could a car go into the water?

“When did this happen?” I asked.

“Well, they’ve been over there for a few hours now,” she said. “But I heard it happened earlier.”

That’s about all the detail I could get. No one knew much more. After I stood around for about 20 minutes, nothing seemed to be happening and I was really cold. Temperatures are dropping and the wind is picking up. It was starting to get dark. Part of me wanted to stay. The other part of me was freezing. The cold part won and Burlee and I came inside. I will report tomorrow if I learn anything. I am sure there will be plenty in the morning newspaper to keep me from writing about the natural history of the Great Lakes or the politics of water. Cars going into icy water are much more exciting. I just hope no one was hurt. That wouldn’t be amusing. That would be a tragedy.

No comments: