Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Fabulous Photos and Art Inspired by the Great Lakes

I bought a new camera but have yet to take any pictures with it, other than a few tests inside my house. After viewing the photos of the winners of The Great Lakes Forever 2009 Photo Contest, I may never take any. Take a look at these fabulous photos. Magnificent. Awe-inspiring. What talent. (Click on the highlighted text to see them.)

Other art worth looking at is the work of Mary Gillis and in particular her Great Lakes Series. The series is currently on display in Grand Rapids, MI and is contending for the coveted ArtPrize. I would vote for Mary to win the prize but you actually have to be in Grand Rapids to vote. So if you are anywhere near there, please check out the exhibit. Maybe you can help Mary – and the Great Lakes – win this award. Even if you don’t get to vote, when you look at her website be sure to read the explanation of the Great Lakes series, especially about how the colors come from various automotive colors- how Michigan!

These are just two examples of art that draws inspiration from the Great Lakes. I know there are many more. And even if my amateur pictures are not art, I am inspired by nature and the Great Lakes and when I take a picture, it is to tell a story that my words cannot. Maybe that does make me an artist. Who knows?

All art is but imitation of nature.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

No comments: