Monday, February 16, 2009

The Queen is Crying

Buffalo has been on my mind this weekend. The tragic accident near the Buffalo Airport is the reason. My heart goes out to those who suffered losses and to the whole city. According to one report, the Buffalo airport has never had a commercial airline go down. Not until last Thursday night. Given the city's reputation for snow and ice, that is quite an accomplishment, and a tragedy that the statistic is no longer valid.

I heard from my dear friend from Buffalo hours after the crash. I had just seen her in Florida and had forgotten that she was flying back home on Thursday. She arrrived only two hours before the crash, in ice and snow, she told me. Lucky, she said, we landed just fine. Fifty others weren't so lucky.

I remembered this morning that one of the nicknames given to Buffalo is the Queen City of the Lakes. Right now the Queen has tears in her eyes. My thoughts and prayers are with her.

No comments: