Monday, December 15, 2008

It's Day One


I have been thinking about writing about Lake Michigan for some time now, and I am finally ready to start. In my postings, I plan to explore, learn, share and just reflect on what it means to live in sight of one of the largest bodies of fresh water.

I have been aware for some time now that I am a little obsessed with my lake view. Lake Michigan is, except when I am away from home, the first thing I look at in the morning. It is the view from my bedroom window. A small piece of it is visible from my kitchen window. I see this lighthouse every day and observe the mood of the lake every time I walk my dog. It is why I live where I live. And that's why I want to write about it.

I am new to blogging and today am testing its waters - no pun intended. Perhaps my entry into blogging can be compared to the way I go swimming in the lake. As you probably know, the water in our lake stays cold for a very long time, and it is not uncommon for it to freeze toes well into July. But by late July it's usually warm enough to go in. My husband, Michael, tends to jump right in. Not me. I am a wader. I get my toes wet first, then go in up to my knees. When it touches my bathing suit, I often pull back to my knees again. Eventually I do take the plunge, but it is always, always slowly.

And that's probably how I will start blogging, too. Today my toes are in. Tomorrow it may be my knees. But even if it takes me a week or two, I will get in. I know I will. I love to swim.

No comments: